As/Is







3.17.2004


Logic

Kid wages war with
white queen to black
bishop on the screen in the
corner of the cafe he's taught
by the man (don't know his name)
with an Eastern European

edge his hair
is sharp short and
asphalt grey to indicate
he is intelligent and up with all
the best ways to be a man but

it's chess, always chess, forever
chess and he teaches it all around town
he teaches boys all
around town chess is life.

And I should learn it, I fence
well in that I don't fence well I
understand the complication the dimensions
of a sword and it's trajectory energy
spanning the wrist to
the chest to the hit.

Logic in body logic from
your right lung your hand does the
reasoning your head stays
out of the way.

If I asked, would he tell me
chess is the
same?
Would the lively boy folded
up in the cafe chair answer
for him?