As/Is







5.15.2004


Look At Me


Look at me happy
to be the man who stays home
Saturday nights
& opens stubborn jars

I'll stay away
from those women
no matter that they want
me and offer
in ways subtle and not so

Let me make
dinner & let us not speak
about them let us watch
films & pet
our cats & drink
California dry & listen
to your high
school music which is new
to me since I liked
folk music back then & played
it in a band & girls liked
my neo-hippy attitude
& the songs I wrote

but I never saw it til years
later I was still hung
up on being fat & ugly even
though I hadn't been either
for years

but now I see it
in their eyes when I step off
the stage I know
they find me sexy & like
the songs which are no longer
about peace & love

but they're not for me I'm okay
with that as long as you
are for me & I see the spaghetti
is done
I'll get that wine
& be right there